Welcome to Our Craziness!

Kidney Stone October 25, 2006

Filed under: Uncategorized — ashlieaxandike @ 11:11 pm

Sunday was a great day to be in church. We had an amazing choir do a special program for sacrament meeting. They sang one song for prelude and I was really excited for them to do their program. Right after the sacrament Andy started getting some pain in his side, that then moved to his back. Pretty soon he stood up and walked out of the meeting. I wasn’t sure what he wanted me to do, so I just stayed put. A few minutes later Bro. Palmer came and squatted by me and said Andy was in a lot of pain and needed me. I still wasn’t sure what was going on, so I walked out without our stuff. Andy needed to leave, so I had to tromp back in and gather our stuff and leave again. (Remember how this was probably the most interesting meeting we have had in a few months? not any more! we are gone!) Right as we get out of the church Andy tells me to take him to the ER. I knew at that point it was pretty serious. I didn’t even have a car seat in the car for Stryker cause I don’t worry so much about it on the 1 minute drive to church. I belted him in and prayed for both of them.

We went to Pioneer Valley Hospital and I got him in there. He was in a lot of pain. He is pretty tough and he was scaring me. Neither of us had any idea what it could be. It came on so sudden. They get us checked in. The girl was asking a bunch of questions (address, etc) and Andy could barely answer her. We are done and sit and wait and wait and wait. It was probably only like 10 or 15 minutes but it felt like a long time. Andy was hunched over and was struggling. He asked me to get him a garbage cause he felt like he was going to throw up, but he never did. They finally called us back and Andy was having some trouble walking he was in so much pain. The dr. (nurse) was asking him questions and taking blood and temperature and all that. He had trouble getting the temp. reading because A was in so much pain that he was breathing heavy through his mouth and couldn’t close it on the temp. wand. His hands were going numb a bit. They said that is because he was hyperventilating and that can cause numbness. It was pretty scary. He was shaking and trembling and crying out in pain. He didn’t want to talk or to be talked to and he didn’t want to be touched. We had Stryker and I know he was trying to not freak him out. At one point he told me he just wanted to die.

They finally got some morphine in him about an hour after we arrived (so, 12:30). They pretty much just knew it was a kidney stone and weren’t too worried. Joni and Gordon and Sam and Grandpa G. came pretty much right after they gave him morphine and he was still just white as a ghost and looked like death. They gave him a blessing and left with Stryker. I’m so glad I was able to get a hold of them. I really needed to get Stryker out of there. Andy’s pain level went down mostly then. He said he was still in some pain, but not bad. He mostly just dozed in and out of sleep. My mom and dad called and brought me some clothes to change into and some food and a book, but by the time they got there Andy was back from the CT scan. The dr. came in soon after they got there (which had been awhile since the scan. It takes forever!) and said it definitely was a kidney stone, but it was already in the bladder. You have pain as it is moving to the bladder and as it gets peed out and his was in the bladder waiting. It was one 2mm stone. So he gave us a pain prescription and an anti-nausea prescription and a strainer to pee through to catch the stone and sent us on our way. I do appreciate mom and dad bringing us stuff even though we got to go home soon after.

That night Andy was able to pass the stone without anymore pain….maybe he is tough, maybe he still had morphine in his system…we aren’t sure. 😉 and that whole escapade is over. What a scary day!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s