Welcome to Our Craziness!

aug. 30th-thursday August 30, 2007

Filed under: Uncategorized — ashlieaxandike @ 9:06 pm

I got the kids up and off to joni’s this morning. I got gas and got to the hospital at 9am, but couldn’t find a parking spot till 9:30 and even then it was just a 2 hour limit(parallel parked even-have I said before how I didn’t pass parallel parking in driver’s ed? Never could-even in a little 4 door sedan, but I did it today with my van. Just another tender mercy.) But I was parked in 2 hour parking and when katei left I went and took her spot-i had a ticket. (Ihad been there for over 6 hours…) but its only a 10.00 fine. Sweet. I’m almost excited to know that its so cheap. I bet that’s even cheaper than the hospital valet! To only have to pay 10.00 for
great spot right in front of the hospital for all day-I’ll take it!

During all that driving I called and rescheduled 2 appts for the boys I had today to a couple weeks out. I’m sure I still won’t want to waste my time doing them then, but hopefully andy will be in a better place so I don’t feel like I need to ALWAYS be here.

Andy always is ticked at me when I come in-not because I came, but because I left. Nights are really hard for him and I wish I could be here. Yesterday he was able to get some anti-anxiety medicine prn(adavan-when he asks for it) and this afternoon he was starting to freak out so we gave that to him and it works wonders for him. He is able to relax and sleep. He will sleep without it but its usually not for very long and he wakes up confused, not really knowing what’s going on. So its been really good for him to get some real asleep(though he still wakes up confused). Anyway, my whole point was that nights are really hard for him-so I just asked the nurse and she is going to put in an order for them to just give it to him every 6 hours at night-since its prn and he isn’t aware enough to be able to ask for it. That will help so much I think.

They said he freaked out at some point last night-He pulled out one of his arc lines(really naughty) and got tied down. I’m hopeful for him tonight.

He has been higher than a kite today-but he said once that his pain number was a 2, so that’s really good. Its been so funny-he has said the finniest things. I’m so writing stuff down so I can make fun of him later. One day when I have more time I’ll post all the funny stuff he says. He’s hilarious. 🙂

He begged for juice alllllll day. Lemonade to be specific. Every single person that came in the room from the orthopedic surgeon to the cleaning lady, he asked for juice today. Most of the morning the answer was no, that he had to wait till ‘they’ came in for a swallow study(not sure exactly who they are…) but then when the nurse found out he has surgery again tomorrow the answer became no flat out. He will be intabated again so we start over on the quest for jiuce. The good news in this story is that I (we) were able to get the nurse to let him have juice swabs instead of water swabs. He was pretty happy, but was in a lot of pain and starting to
freak out so that’s when we gave him the adavan and he went to sleep. Couple more days dude and you will be on the road to real food.

He has surgery to finish the sacrum tomorrow at 9am. Dr. Butterfield will be doing it and he said it won’t take long at all-he estimates that with prep time and closing him up I will be just 2 hours. Then we will work towards sitting up. He told me that can be a process since he had so much breakage and surgery and so much time laying flat. We will start with 15 minutes twice a day and work up from there. He also said something about probably going to a rehab center after this and not straight home. ick. I just want him home and happy and healthy.

Dr. Butterfield also said that in about 6 months they will go back in and take all(all? Really?) of the hardware out of his back-the bones will have time to fully heal and it can be painful and annoying to leave it in. There isn’t muscle or much fat in you lower back and have metal there can be irratating. I don’t think he actually means all of it though-when I was talking to Dr. Bauman the ‘bridge’ they created on the verterbrae that broke sunded pretty permanant. I’ll be sure to ask next time I see either of them. Either way its pretty cool that it comes out.

Andy gets more liberty with how he sits-like angle and movement. Its been pretty nice, and it seem like a but easier to get comfortable.

Aprill and Katie came up for awhile today-I’m learning to use the people that come in to visit for help. I really want to do it all myself, but at the end of the day its more exhausting than you’d think to have stood and given him swabs of water all day.

I left just after 5pm. He was in a really good place with that adavan. I asked annie again about giving him that through the night and she said she’d be sure to pass that on to the night nurse-and said that she was sure they would be happy about that. Lol-at least I can feel comfortable that they will be giving it to him right? 🙂

Andy has found his phone. He called me twice tonight after I left. It’s horrible. I hate leaving him alone anyway. He called and told me he thought he was in the jungle. Asked me where I was-told me the nurses weren’t responding to him. I asked if he had pushed his button(he doesn’t always remember where it is or to push it when he needs help) and he said he had but they weren’t coming. I told him to push it again(sometimes even when he pushes it he doesn’t hit it hard enough to make it work) and he said he did. It’s just hard. So I told him to hang up and I’d call his nurse to see what’s going on and ask for more pain medicine. She told me he had one more hour till he could get more adavan and she would, or just did give him pain medicine. She said that he doesn’t like being alone and gets nervous. He had hit his button, but Annie was doing report and a CNA went in. Andy didn’t like that since he didn’t know her and wouldn’t let her do anything. Ahhhhh! so hard for me! I called my mom-If I need I can just drop everything and run to the hospital, but not all the time, the kids are really struggling the last couple days. She suggested I call Joni. What a great idea! I’m sure I would have come up with it, but just called my mommy first. She and Gordon went up right away. I’m so grateful they could go. He called me again a bit later, before they got there, stressing out again. He told me he needs me to come, and I told him I couldn’t, that the kids need me, but his mom’s on her way and he was ok with that. He told me to call his nurse again(Have I become the nurse button?!?). I called his mama and they were parking and almost there.

She called me after she got him all arranged and they were bathing him-so she left the room and called me. They are going to stay till midnight, or later if he needs them still. We talked a bit about what’s going on and they are going to take the night shift at least for a few days-till he is more ok on his own. I feel so bad for him, but I just can’t be there 24/7 so I’m glad that we can switch shifts and someone can be there with him more. I can’t imagine how he feels waking up confused and in pain. What a horrible feeling.

Some pictures from today:

This is a picture of the other arc line he didn’t pull out. This thing is taped to his arm and one side connects to a machine(I think it checks his blood/oxygen level) and one side is in a vein in his wrist.

Ewww-hairy knees with staples. NASTY!

Check out the angle of his bed! Nice! He can have up to 45 degress today, and have his legs up a bit.

Brushing his own teeth-they had lip skin stuck to his teeth. His mouth gets so dry. His tongue is cracked at the end. Poor boy! oh, and his hand in unwrapped now, you can see what has been under all that guaze.


Juice cup with swab. Yay!

I’ve had a request for some happy pictures of my boys-so here are a couple:


3 Responses to “aug. 30th-thursday”

  1. Kei Says:

    Oh yay!!! I’m glad you’re getting enough help so that Andy isn’t alone too much and you aren’t having to do it all. It’s wonderful that Andy is improving day by day… it had to be the best sight to see him brush his own teeth!
    The boys are adorable and those smiles just crack me up!

    I check your blog last thing before I shut my computer down at night, and first thing when I boot it up in the morning.
    I pray you both get some restful sleep tonight.

  2. Kimmie Says:

    Ashlee, I am in TEARS here. WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU? I wish I could go up and help Andy out, give him water, would love to do that for him…stupid ICU…my heart is broken! I just love you to pieces. Love the happy pictures of the boys, you are such an incredible mother, such an example to me! Hang in there, sending love your way…prayers tomorrow and always.

  3. Ashley Says:

    I cannot belive the parking at your hospital. We have free valet parking at the one here. They really should have a section specialy for the people who have to be there everyday with loved one. You have enuff to worry about just to have to spend that much time parking!! When everything is over with and you have a minuet maybe you can suggest that to the hospital.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s