Welcome to Our Craziness!

Can you beleive I’m exhausted again? October 6, 2007

Filed under: Uncategorized — ashlieaxandike @ 8:39 pm

This is a lot of work and we didn’t even do much today! I’m sure I tried to do way too much(like reorganize my whole house was probably a bit ambitious). I got a bunch of stuff put away and all the floors vacuumed.  I went and bought a toddler bed for Stryker. I am going to move Charlie out of the closet and move Stryker in. I’ll put up a curtain around Alex’s bed(and now he gets 2 beds!) and we are going to decorate each boys area. Now they will each have their own space to be if they need to hide. They have a hard time together often and I’m working to make them different little people as much as I can. They are both really excited. Alex’s is going to be outdoorsy-brown, squirrels, glow in the dark stars, trees, etc. Stryker’s is fish-blue walls, fish, etc. They are both super excited. It’s going to be nice. Now we will see what happens having charlie in the big room though.

Andy has kinda had a rough day. Last night wasn’t the greatest in the waterbed. We are thinking he really is going to need a hospital bed. He had a hard time moving around and to cath in the middle of the night was almost impossible-because of the waterbed his bladder was higher than his hips so I had to stand up over his hips to push the bed down to get his hips lower than his bladder so gravity would help. It was a mess, and not something I’m going to want to be doing twice every night. 🙂 Andy hasn’t found a great place he can be comfortable today. His right sciatic nerve is hurting him a lot. I feel so bad for him. Moving around takes so much effort. Our carpet is harder to wheel around on than the hospital-and we have fairly tight hard carpet, so it’s not even as bad as it could be, but nothing ever is, right? He didn’t end up going anywhere today because he just was in so much pain he couldn’t bear to think about going somewhere and having to deal with it in public. He does really well not complaining about it when other people are here, but he is just constantly uncomfortable and hurting somewhere. They did take him off the oxy at the hospital and now he just has lortab(and 2 nerve pain medicines) so maybe we just need to call and get some oxy. It hasn’t been that long since they took him off it. I do wonder if that is what the difference is.

My kids….this is a struggle. lol As hard as it was for them before, going to babysitters, now they are home and bored and having to not watch tv and play video games as much and having to obey the rules again. It’s been tough today. It’s going to take awhile for all of us to get used to this. I think tomorrow I’m not doing anything. We are just going to hang out and try and have no stress.

So, I didn’t post much about yesterday. I swear it took forever to get out of the hospital. They said Dr. Reyser was surprised we were going home, so that is why so much wasn’t ready. (Just one more reason for me to not like him…) We did therapy then an ultrasound on andy’s kidneys and they had to do lots of paperwork. They gathered a whole bunch of supplies for us(super nice) and we did ok just hanging out and saying goodbye(Andy knows everyone there!) but at the end it took about an hour to and hour and a half longer than I would have liked.  We were meeting the medipillar people at our house and the closer it got to 5pm I got more and more worried that they wouldn’t come later-but they met us at 5:30ish. Everyone was standing outside to welcome Andy home with confetti and silly string but the medipillar people were there waiting so we had to quickly get to them and work on that. Heidi had ordered pizza so when that came they all went upstairs and we just worked with the medipillar guys for forever. The base of the stairs we are coming down is kinda messed up and we will probably put in some wood to level it off so it’s not so hard. I did figure it out and did it a few times to make sure I had the feel of it. We are their first customer for this and they were taking video and pictures and they were pretty much making the whole process more stressful.

We will figure this out. It will only get better. Day one is only a trial run. A practice round.


5 Responses to “Can you beleive I’m exhausted again?”

  1. Anonymous Says:

    wow, our are ambitious. That is a lot to get done in one day. I’m glad the boy are excited about there own space. I’m sure our right in that you will figure this out and it will get better from here. Welcome Home Andy!!

  2. Kei Says:

    I’m sure it will get easier as you all figure out what works and what doesn’t. Continued prayers as you all transition to this new phase of recovery.

    Hugs & prayers,

  3. Melinda Says:

    We are so excited he is home! Everything will get easier with time! Our love and support goes out to you!
    Andrew & Melinda Van Haaften

  4. Kim Says:

    So happy you guys are home. I can imagine the adjustments, remember how life was the first weeks after coming home with a new baby? The roles are reversed now, and you get to take care of Andy…it will take a few weeks to get into the swing, but you guys will be old pros. We’ll keep praying for you guys! Hang in there!

  5. Sherry3995 Says:

    Just take one day at a time. You can do it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s